Saturday, October 30, 2010

The great car search

Well, for every bit easy as my job opportunity in Nashville came about, the preparations leading up to moving have been every bit as hard. I guess I naively expected that because everything flowed so easily with the job offer aspect, everything else should follow suite. Not so. Saying 'yes' to God's call is just the first step, it's just getting the ball rolling. Once the rubber hits the road it's a whole different story.

I've never owned a car, but I absolutely need to get one for Nashville, since I am pretty sure that public transportation is not as prevalent as in D.C. My brother and I have visited 7 car dealerships over the past few weeks, trying to find a reliable, quality car in my budget with no avail. Nothing in my price range seems to be satisfactory, and dealing with the smooth-talking, game-playing salesmen day after day has proven very trying. The other day I left the car dealership we went to nearly in tears, so frustrated that the car search that has dragged out for weeks (and months, really, because I started looking for a car before I even had Nashville on my radar) with no success.

The feeling seemed strangely familiar though. I felt dejected, discouraged, and weary. Then I remembered that this was the exact same feeling I had when I was in the midst of my job search a few weeks before I submitted my application to the Nashville position. And yet, within a short time after this deep discouragement set in, I quickly received a job offer for just the sort of job I'd been looking for.

It's that God's timing thing. He asks us to preserve so we might grow in faith and mature in trust. Just when we think we're smooth sailing, He asks for more surrender. So I am trying to remember that my heavenly Father knows all that I need. He knows how many hairs are on my head, and what car I need. I will try to "wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." (Psalm 24:14) I will try to remember that everything will ultimately fall into place in His perfect time, even as I fight restless impatience as I wait.

In the meantime, no thank you, Mr. Car Salesman, I do not need a car with a blue tooth device, or fancy features.

And if you want any facts about the reliability of used compact cars, just let me know. I pretty much have the consumer reports memorized.

No comments:

Post a Comment