Monday, June 21, 2010

Scenic detour


I wanted to share a photo here that I took while driving back to DC from Pittsburgh last weekend. I got off the exit for Frostburg, Maryland in hopes of finding a McDonalds to get an iced coffee. Although the highway sign advertised a McDonalds, I was not able to find it along the sprawling mountain road. I was, however, awestruck by the gorgeous view from the road. Never having gotten off at this exit before, I had no idea that if you traveled up the road to Frostburg you would be rewarded with a breathtaking view of the rolling mountains covered with a faint blanket of fog, and beneath you a mountain town nestled into the mountainside. The sun was beginning to set at this point, and so the rays of the sun beaming down through the fog onto the mountainside was magnificant. I decided that although I couldn't find a McDonalds, I certainly had to take a photo of this beautiful scene. So I pulled into the Walgreens parking lot overlooking the view, and pulled out my camera. I was grateful as I drove out of Frostburg onto the highway. No latte. But even better, I got to witness a glorious mountainside panorama I never would have experienced if I hadn't gotten off that exit. It was worth the detour for the unique glimpse of His magnificent, beautiful creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment