Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Contemplative in the country (for a day)


This past Sunday afternoon through Monday evening I had the opportunity of spending some time with my friend Claire at the organic farm where she works in Owings, Maryland. The farm is called "The Lamb's Quarter", and they grow 4-5 acres worth of fresh, organic vegetables, as well as selling grass-fed meat and free-range eggs. The Lamb's Quarter is a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), and they also sell their food at the Farmer's Market in Old Town Alexandria on Saturday mornings.

Claire has worked at the farm for a few months now, and after hearing her intriguing tales about farm life (some of which can be read on her blog), I was excited to be able to experience "the farm life" first hand. As a "city girl", I had never done any farming before...and although I aspire to be a successful gardener, I really don't have much experience in that realm either. Our day was filled with a plethora of farm tasks though, so I got a varied introduction to a-day-in-the-life of a farmer.

Our activities included:
~ Harvesting green beans, yellow beans, and flat beans
~ Harvesting beautiful sunny pattypan squash and zucchini
~ Harvesting okra
~ Transferring about 25 boxes of frozen meat from the truck to the walk-in freezer
~ Potting and planting new squash seeds
~ Harvesting several different varieties of tomatoes; this was the largest crop of the day, yielding about 6 buckets full

In 90 degree + temperatures as the beating sun shone down with dense humidity, I can certainly say that farming is not a venture for the faint of heart. I was quite exhausted after just one day of it - I can't imagine the stamina and endurance necessary for completing farm tasks all year long. I definitely have a new found respect for farmers and farmhands - as well as a greater respect for the time, care, and energy that is put into local organic crops. It makes me think that spending the extra money for local organic products is worth every penny; it's not just buying food, but buying food produced through a labor of love.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the farm, and as I was helping to harvest some of the vegetables I was reflecting on the contemplative nature of this sort of task, versus my computer-centered city desk job.

It is true, that out in the country, under the wide open sky and in the midst of God's beautiful creation, the atmosphere is particularly conducive to meditation and prayer. The atmosphere there is so peaceful, so simple.

Some of my favorite moments on the farm were:

~ Noticing the quiet rustic surroundings; being able to hear more clearly the bird songs by day, and the crickets chirping in the evening.
~ Observing the amazing array of bugs that found a home amongst the plants and the soil. Some of them were quite intricate with their unique camouflage.
~ Tasting a sun-ripened black cherry tomato, straight off the vine
~ Looking out into the rolling meadows, seeing the long brush wave in the wind, and the butterflies flit through the fields.
~ Feeling the refreshing, gentle country breeze in the midst of the hot July sun.
~ Meeting the delightful and gracious family that owns and runs the farm.
~ After a long days work, taking a nap in one of the old barns, straw hat still atop my head (I'm not kidding), grateful for the shade and the soft breeze.

Yes, it was quite an enjoyable time. I certainly would like to go back again to get a little whiff of the country air, to see God's creation unfolding, like bean plants or zucchini blossoms, or little lady bugs on a leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment